“Dana simply means performing acts of charity with a good will or pure volition. It may also be in the form of service or teaching or instruction, etc. …The donor at the same time acquires merit as wholesomeness, delight rejoicing, gladness and happiness in his mind.”
– Sayadaw U Panna Dipa
Volunteering is very much a part of dana (i.e. giving). It entails the offering of one’s time and the provision of services for the benefit of others. The motivation when volunteering must be virtuous and wholesome generosity. It should be truly selfless compassion and altruistic.
One should be pro-active and come forward when volunteering. The service provided should not be conditional and should be offered to all who are in need, i.e. with equanimity.
Do let us know if you would like to Volunteer Your Services and Time to the Buddhist Library (BL) in any of the following areas:
- Volunteer Trainers: To take on the role of in-house trainers for selected Dhamma courses.
- Volunteer Teachers: To take on the regular role of Dhamma teachers in the BL Sunday School.
- Volunteer Librarians: To assist in the cataloging and restoration of books in the library.
- Volunteer Keepers: To ensure cleanliness and upkeep the physical environment of BL.
- Volunteer Emcees: To perform the role of master of ceremonies for selected BL events.
- Volunteer Counter Staff: To assist the BL administrators in manning the counter and entertain enquiries from the public.
- Volunteer F&B Staff (Cooks): To be involved in the preparation of food & drinks for the regular Sunday Lunch and selected BL events.
- Volunteer Photographers: To provide photography and/or videography service at selected BL events.
- Volunteer Drivers: To provide driving and chaperone service, especially to the BL Sangha members.
- Volunteer Event Support Staff: T