Date: 12 Jan – 12 Apr 2020 (Every Sunday)
Time: 11.00am – 12.00pm (.b aged 11-16), 10.30am – 11.00am (paws b aged 7 – 10)
Venue: The Buddhist Library, Level 2 Seminar Room
Suspended due to DORSCON Orange
The Buddhist Library in the year 2020, will offer to its student, two evidence-based children mindfulness programs, ‘Paws b’ for children aged 7-10, and ‘.b’ (Dot b) for children aged 11-16, from Mindfulness in Schools Project (MiSP) from UK. These programs have been implemented in more than 1,000 schools in UK and attended by more than 400,000 students.
There is a growing body of rigorous research evidence regarding the potential benefits of mindfulness for children and young people. These include randomised control trials and neuroscientific studies.
As Professor Katherine Weare (Emeritus Professor, Southampton and Exeter Universities) observed in her award-winning research summary: Evidence for the Impact of Mindfulness on Children and Young People, schools who engage in mindfulness are likely to see ‘beneficial results on the emotional wellbeing, mental health, ability to learn and even the physical health of their students. Such interventions are relatively cheap to introduce, have an impact fairly quickly, can fit into a wide range of contexts and above all are enjoyable and civilising, for pupils and staff.’
.b (aged 11-16)
Venue The Buddhist Library
Date Sunday (10 lesson) – 12Jan, 19Jan, 16Feb, 23Feb, 01Mar, 08Mar, 22Mar, 29Mar, 05Apr, 12Apr
Time 11am – 12pm
.b aims to help young people to:
- Cultivate emotional intelligence by managing emotions and compulsive reaction, thus enhancing their social skills.
- Improve their concentration and focus, in classes, in exams and tests, on the sports field, when playing games, when paying attention and listening to others.
- Experience greater well-being (e.g. feel happier, calmer, more fulfilled).
- Work with difficult mental states such as anxious thoughts and low moods.
- Cope with the everyday stresses and strains of adolescent life such as exams, relationships, sleep problems, family issue
Paws b (aged 7-10)
Venue The Buddhist Library
Date Sunday (12 lesson) – 12Jan, 19Jan, 16Feb, 23Feb, 01Mar, 08Mar, 22Mar, 29Mar, 05Apr, 12Apr, 19Apr, 26Apr
Time 10:30am – 11am
During the course, the children will be learning about many things, including:
- Specific areas of the brain and how these affect our ability to focus, make good choices, recognise when we need to steady ourselves when our body or mind is busy or out of balance.
- Ways that mindfulness can support them in many day-to-day activities, including concentration and memory, behavioural self- management, and in relationships with family and friends.
- Ways to respond rather than react – and therefore make better choices and take best care of themselves and others.
Teacher: Mr Ong Pee Eng
- Certified Paws b teacher
- Certified .b teacher
- Qualified MBSR Mindfulness Teacher