Date: 3 May to 19 Jul 2019 (Every Fri) refer to schedule below
Time: 7.30pm – 9.30pm
Venue: The Buddhist Library, Level 2 Seminar Room
Fees: FOC (BL Members), $20 (Non members)
“What is Buddhism? Is it a religion or a way of life? How do we apply Buddhism in our daily lives?”
“Learning without practice is of no worth.
Though much he recites the Sacred Texts, but acts not accordingly, that heedless man is like a cowherd who counts others’ kine. He has no share in the fruits of the Holy Life.
Though little he recites the Sacred Texts, but acts in accordance with the teaching, forsaking lust, hatred and ignorance, truly knowing, with mind well freed, clinging to naught here and here-after, he shares the fruits of the Holy Life.”
The Dhammapada- Yamaka Vagga
The Core Teachings Dr. Lee Liang Tee
– Why the Teaching of The Four Noble Truths
– Understanding The Concept of Suffering
– How to Cope in Today’s Context
The Middle Doctrine Evelyn Goh Pih Yu
– Doctrine of Dependent Origination
– Applications and Implications to a Modern Lifestyle
Buddhism as We See It Today Bhante Wimalajothi
– General Concepts – Religion or Atheistic?
– Comparison with Other Spiritual Movements
– Its Relevance in Today’s Secular Context
The Path Dr. Wong Weng Fai – The Middle Path – The Three Aspects of the Path – The Methodology to Escape from Rounds of Rebirth – Mind Transformation – Meditation
The Founder – Life of Gautama Buddha Dr. Tham Weng Yew
– His lifelong Work – His Contributions to the World – Significance of “Buddhahood”
The 3 Facets of Buddhism Dr. Tham Weng Yew
– A Look at Theravada, Mahayana & Vajrayana Concepts & Teachings
– Rituals, Ceremonies and Culture
Kalama Sutta Foo Siew Ee
– Ten inadequate sources of knowledge
– Three unwholesome roots
– Four Sublime States
– Four Solaces
– Practical Applications
Suffering and the Cause of Suffering Foo Siew Fong
Facing the World Dr. Tham Weng Yew
– Applying Buddhism in Modern Day Setting
– Looking into Human Lifespan in the Buddhist Context
– Tackling Death and The Dying Process
Principles of Lay Followers Bhante Wimalajothi
Mental Cultivation Bhante Dhammaratana
Q&A All Speakers are invited to answer questions from participants
You may register online by filling up the online form below.
How To Make Payment
Bank transfer – Please fill up the online form and we will contact you with the account number.
Cash or NETS – please make payment at our counter.
Cheque – Please make cheque payable to “Buddhist Research Society” and mail the cheque to us. Please indicate behind your cheque “Discovering Buddhism” as well as the following information:
• your name
• e-mail and
• contact no.
The Buddhist Library reserve the rights to change or cancel any part of the programme due to unforeseen circumstances. No cancellations will be accepted.